Free Forever. Our themes will always be free. Forever. Period.

Facebook Like Mod

Dismal Shadow
May 19, 2010
I noticed titles get cutoff too.  Moving the button is the best choice.
I will get back to you on that one, I need to figure where it would be best, for our user.

Dismal Shadow
May 20, 2010
What about this?

LOL, I tried.

robbie93
May 21, 2010
Yes, in display.template.php find:

light

Replace with:

dark

or

evil

I noticed titles get cutoff too.  Moving the button is the best choice.

Hi, I have changed from "light" to "dark" and am getting this in the top left hand corner of the page     ? please see screenshot.

Mick
May 21, 2010
Robbie, im not sure what that is.

The button should look like this in you display.template.php

Light

<!-- Facebook Like Button -->
               <span style="float:right; margin-top:4px;">
                  <fb:like href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'layout="standard" width="350" action="like" colorscheme="light" /></fb:like>
               </span>
               <!-- End of Facebook Like Button -->

Dark

<fb:like href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'layout="standard" width="350" action="like" colorscheme="dark" /></fb:like>
               </span>

Evil

<fb:like href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'layout="standard" width="350" action="like" colorscheme="evil" /></fb:like>
               </span>

robbie93
May 21, 2010
Hi Mick, the theme I am using doesnt have its own display.template and therefore uses the default, the code you posted above are exactly the same as in my default display.template, all I did was change the "light" to dark because the theme I am using right now is dark and the text wasnt showing up as good, when I changed it that strange text appeared as you can see in the screeny, I also have this in my display.template is this correct?

//Facebook Like      
      if( !empty($modSettings['facebookLike_allow']) && !empty($context['facebookLike_board_enable']))
echo'
<div id="fb-root"></div>
<script>
  window.fbAsyncInit = function() {
    FB.init({appId: \'your app id\', status: true, cookie: true,
             xfbml: true});
  };
  (function() {
    var e = document.createElement(\'script\'); e.async = true;
    e.src = document.location.protocol +
      \'//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js\';
    document.getElementById(\'fb-root\').appendChild(e);
  }());
</script>

robbie93
May 22, 2010
I did some research on these strange characters  ?

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=275353

I was editing the display.template using ftp and it caused those symbols to apear, something callem "Bom" ?

Anyway I edited the display.template from my cpanel and saved it there and all is good now, no more "Bom"  ;D thanks for a cool mod Mick.

Dismal Shadow
May 24, 2010
Mike...there are times then the "Like" button is not showing our names as if we have never clicked "Like" before as if it been reseted. It does show up on FB tho...

Mick
Jun 11, 2010
Mike...there are times then the "Like" button is not showing our names as if we have never clicked "Like" before as if it been reseted. It does show up on FB tho...

Im starting to dislike this Facebook Like thing.  Its not only you but me too.   Im using a "like" button in my wordpress blog written by a wordpress mod maker, and it has the same issue.

I think is Facebook's lack of recording or the "like" is more like "share" or they cant quit changing their formats for once.   Some days is fine, some others are missing.

Dismal Shadow
Jun 12, 2010
Are you calling it quit? :P

Mick
Jun 12, 2010
Are you calling it quit? :P

Not at all buddy ;)

bennysings
Aug 28, 2010
I love this mod... however I can't seem to get the the actual titles liked to show up on facebook.

It says "Benny likes login" instead of me liking the actual title liked from the site at aquapuppies.com... how may I fix that?

Thank you.. and keep up the great work.

Mick
Aug 29, 2010
I love this mod... however I can't seem to get the the actual titles liked to show up on facebook.

It says "Benny likes login" instead of me liking the actual title liked from the site at aquapuppies.com... how may I fix that?

Thank you.. and keep up the great work.

Are you using a custom theme?   Make sure you use the parser to make the edits on custom themes.

ValliFudd
Oct 13, 2010
Love this mod, i'm using RC3, but i use the "core" theme, had the old SMF, and people using this forum don't really know much about computers so i didn't want to change much when doing the upgrade.  The mod doesn't seem to work with the old theme :(  I'm not a programmer so i don't know how to fix it, is it a lost case, or is it easy for me to fix it so it works with the core theme?

Thanks
Valli

Mick
Dec 05, 2010
Updated for RC4.

Changes...

- Removed the Open Graph as it seems to be a pain.
- Moved the "like" button to the actual post window below the user's post.
- Now showing FB avatars.
- Ability to also share it

Please uninstall previous versions before installing v. 1.4

Hoodie
Dec 22, 2010
I posted this on the SMF site but figured I'd post it here as well:

Quote from: Hoodie
Not sure if it's just me or what but the actual permissions system is not working the current way it is set up..  No matter if you click to Enable Topic Like under Miscellaneous Settings, all boards are showing it whether or not I tick the Enable on a per board basis..  I think the following is the culprit:

Replace:

//Facebook Like     
      if( !empty($modSettings['facebookLike_allow']) && !empty($context['facebookLike_board_enable']))
echo'
<div id="fb-root"><>
<script>
  };
  (function() {
  }());
</script>';

if ($message['id'] == $context['topic_first_message'])
echo'
               <br /><br /><!-- Facebook Like Button -->
               <span style="float:left;">
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script>
                  <fb:like href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'layout="standard" width="450" show_faces="true" action="like" colorscheme="light" /></fb:like>
               </span>

<!-- End of Facebook Like Button --><br />';

With:

//Facebook Like     
{
echo'
<div id="fb-root"><>
<script>
  };
  (function() {
  }());
</script>';

if ($message['id'] == $context['topic_first_message'])
echo'
               <br /><br /><!-- Facebook Like Button -->
               <span style="float:left;">
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script>
                  <fb:like href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'layout="standard" width="450" show_faces="true" action="like" colorscheme="light" /></fb:like>
               </span>

<!-- End of Facebook Like Button --><br />';
}

The only thing I did was add {} around the whole part after the first if statement to include the whole code, otherwise just the script loading was being included..  Thought I'd let you know..

Connect with us:

Improve SMF

If you wish to contribute to the development of SMF you can contribute to the coding discussions taking place on Github. You are also welcome to suggest features which you would like to see added to the software in the Feature Requests board.

Receive our monthly newsletter right in your inbox.

Advertisement  

Mods
In this category you will find plugins related to SMF development. Here we present some new mods to help you get the most of your SMF installation.

go up